Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Week 95; September 7, 2015 – From Blood Pudding to Buzz Cuts to Blues Brothers

We have had some crazy stuff happen this week in some of the best and worst ways possible… I'll get the worst out of the way first. 

Has anyone ever heard of Blood Pudding before? Well, If you haven't, it's exactly what it sounds like, pudding made out of pigs blood and it's an old Swedish classic. I’ve been able to avoid it for 22 months, but our very unamusing friend, Stellan, thought it would be fun to serve it to us and watch us squirm. It was nasty beyond all nastiness, and an experience I absolutely don't recommend! Aside from that, the rest of the week was crazy good! 

Trying a Swedish delicacy, Blood Pudding!
After we taught Mattias an amazing lesson, we realized that we hadn’t been focusing on Christ enough. So, we watched a lot of the “Life of Christ” videos with him and answered a lot of his questions. Finally the subject of baptism came up. It took some time, but we addressed his concerns and Mattias accepted a new baptismal date for December! We were so excited and we know he will be ready this time!!!  


We helped one of our favorite families replace some insulation and then we ate some oven-baked pancakes which is pretty similar to German pancakes if anyone’s had those before. Their kids are awesome too and we had fun chasing them around for a while, they love it when we come over… It’s the best! 

Later that week we went into McDonald’s and a lady followed us in. She said she loved Mormons and missed talking to them and we hope to meet with her again this week! 

Wednesday was really scary… We needed haircuts and our new Serbian investigator was offering cheap haircuts in his basement. I told him that I wanted it short on the sides but nothing like a “zero.”  His first cut was very very short and he saw that I was a little worried. But, he thought I had said that I wanted “zero” on the sides... His Swedish isn't very good and he got a little confused. I was terrified, but he actually salvaged it and gave me one of the best haircuts I've had in Sweden! 

Looking good!
We had a supper deep talk with some Jehovah’s Witnesses this week, but on the way to their house we saw a walker go flying into the street. We looked behind us and saw that a drunk man had collapsed flat on his face in the street. We helped him up, he was very, very heavy, but he was thankful. The meeting with the JW's went good they were surprised how well I knew the Bible. We had a very respectful conversation and even if they never convert, I am happy to know that they were able to hear about the gospel from a new perspective that turned-out to be really cool actually.   

Thursday was really cool too. I felt worried about going back home and adjusting as a returned missionary. We came back early to start on weekly planning and I just couldn't focus. I thought even if I don't know if I can be what I want to be when I get home, I can still make a difference out here. So, I prayed and said, “God, I don't feel right about staying in right now, we are going to this part of town, so please put prepared people in our path.” We ended-up getting a phone number from almost everyone we talked to that night and we had some of the best finding results I've experienced in months. I know miracles happen and I know this is the Lord’s work!


Friday was my last zone conference. We heard a really cool presentation about Sweden’s first missionary who baptized 17 people in a week. Yes, it is possible! Later, President Beckstrand gave an amazing talk on becoming a “Preach My Gospel” missionary. He has been an awesome president and this was one of his best messages about the power that comes from that simple little book, and we felt really motivated to share it!

The day ended pretty weird when we gave what is called our farewell testimonies, and it was pretty scary. Since this was the last zone conference the departing missionaries will attend before they go home, all the members of my group shared their parting testimonies. Although I tried to gather my thoughts, I couldn't think of anything to say beforehand, so just tried to speak from my heart and I’m happy with what I said. I would write about it now, but don't want to spoil my homecoming talk in 7 weeks!

Afterward, I went on splits with my old MTC companion, Elder Brown and we helped a family move.  

Working with Elders Brown and Israelsen 
When Elder Blackburn and I got back we went out to dinner at an Indian restaurant and met a cool guy from Nepal that gave us his email address and invited us to hike in the Himalayas with him… We hope to take him up on the offer someday! 

Sunday was the coolest! On the way back from teaching a less-active guy, a man yelled at us while we were walking. He was doing construction work on his house, but said he wanted to talk. He wanted to know how we manage to pay for our missions and Elder Blackburn mentioned he did some construction work prior to leaving. The man thought that was cool, so he showed us the projects he was doing on his house and we saw a big poster of a guitar. Well, one thing led to another, and it turned out that he had a music studio and he was a blues organist. We ended-up recording a little bit with him and he thought we were awesome! He was so impressed, he listened to our lessons and he invited us back! 

The Boras Blues Brothers!

 


It’s been an amazing week and it’s sad there's only seven more to go! Thanks for reading each week and for all the support everyone gives me. I love you guys so much and I love this work! 

Äldste Stoeltzing 

No comments:

Post a Comment