Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Week 62; January 12, 2015 – At Home in Halmstad!

Great week! My last P-day in Stockholm was super fun. A lot of us met in the Young Single Adult (YSA) center to hang out before transfers. I'm sad to leave everyone up in Stockholm, but at least Elder Mott will be in my new district. Elder Moe trained him and he's been in Stockholm for the last six months. I said goodbye to all the other missionaries and I went to my last dinner at a member’s home in Stockholm.

Hello Halmstad!
It was a dinner to remember! So, one of our favorite members, by the name of Mama Phyllis, wanted us over before Elder Neilson and I moved. So, she made her specialty, an African dish called Fufu.

Enjoying a traditional African dish called Fufu!
Basically, Fufu is a giant ball of dough-like stuff that you put in a soup that's sort of similar to gumbo. It was made with shrimp and beef. The dough ball sticks out of the soup and you eat it with your hands. What you do is rip-off a peace of the dough and dip it in the soup then swallow it whole. It may sound a little strange, but I thought it was awesome! Mama Phyllis will actually be going back to Ghana for an 18 month service mission and she is very excited.
  
Farewell Stockholm
Tuesday was pretty uneventful. We did some swing-by's and I taught my last lesson in the area with a nice less-active guy named Ralph.  Afterwards, I spent the night packing. And boy, was it hard to get my suit cases zipped-up!  

Wednesday was the big move! We went in to Stockholm and I said goodbye to Elder Ogaard. I couldn't sleep much on the train though, I was a little anxious about the transfer. I got to Göteborg central after about three hours. It felt like coming home. I've missed Göteborg so much. A man saw me struggling with my luggage. He said let me help you and brought me to my platform. He sat my bags down and looked me in the eye and said don't worry, everything’s going to be okay… You'll do great, and then he walked away. Very Christlike!



The train ride down was awesome! I sat next to a lady with a young kid. She was afraid her kid would cause trouble, but I played with the kid the whole time and kept her laughing the whole ride down. I made her laugh so much we kept the whole train entertained! People like watching happy little kids as much as they dislike crying kids, so her Mom was super thankful that I was there! 



Halmstad is beautiful! I met my new companion, Elder Cushing at about 8:30 and he took me to the apartment. The town is perfect, it’s not too big, and not too small. It's the 20th largest city in Sweden and it already feels like home. The apartment is awesome! It's not too big and not too small as well. Everything here already feels really good! 


On Thursday we went down to one of the most beautiful cities in Sweden, Helsingborg, for district meeting! It was amazing, it had a huge castle in the middle of town, and you can see Denmark across the bay from there. We met the rest of the district and I'm super happy to be working with these guys. There are a lot of good friends that I've met through my mission in this district, so everyone already loves each other! 


The meeting started in literally the coolest way possible. We were all talking in the lobby before the meeting and a women walked in and said that she felt the strangest impression that she needed to look into our church. We we're all a little shocked actually. It’s very, very rare in Sweden for someone to just walk in! We were a little taken back at first and thought that we were being pranked, but Elder Clausen jumped in and started teaching her. She said she wanted to move across the street and asked if we could actually give her a blessing, or if we even did those things. Surprised, we said of course, and we all gave her a blessing. She said she'd be happy to come back to the Church when she gets the apartment! It was the coolest way ever to start-out in a new district! Elder Cushing’s lesson in our district meeting was awesome, it was about being a light to everyone we meet. 



Elders Stoeltzing and Cushing
That night we met a handful of investigators and less-active members that we will be working with. They we're awesome and I already feel really connected to the people in this area! Friday was another great day. We met a guy named Marcus that came to play floor hockey with us! It's really good to participate in sports night and play my favorite sport again!


Church was great! The ward here is small, but they are mighty and they make you feel like family right away. I love them and can't wait to work side-by-side with them. The stake President came and helped the ward build a vision to re-activate young adults. It was the best way to start-out in a ward and it helped us feel united in the work! I can't wait to get to know them better! 

Well this has been a beautiful start to serving in a new area! I love it here, I love the people here, and I can't wait to give it my all! 

I Love you guys and I hope everyone has a great week back home… Your all the best! 

Äldste Stoeltzing 

No comments:

Post a Comment