Thursday, November 21, 2013


November 19, 2013
HEY EVERYBODY!
Sorry I haven't been able to write ‘till now.  This week’s been crazy.  We get up every day at 6:30 AM and work straight until 9:30 PM!  This schedule is tough but I know the work that we’re doing is worthwhile.  This past week we've been teaching a fake investigator that turned out to be one of our teachers.  It was really cool.  Oh, by the way, when we practice teaching it all has to be in Swedish.  The language is coming along slowly but surely and I would definitely say I'm learning Swedish much faster than when I took high school Spanish.  I still am very limited in what I can say, but hopefully next week I'll be able to write you my testimony in Swedish. 


MTC Classroom Panorama
 
As I mentioned, the investigator we were teaching actually turned into our teacher.  It really helped to get his feedback after teaching him and now he's one of my favorite teachers.  I admit I was feeling a little down and overwhelmed last week, but Brother Bloomfield, the teacher, gave some great advice, “If I lose myself in this work, I'll find myself.”  I've heard this advice dozens of times in the past, but it hit me super hard this week.  If I want my mission to be great I have to forget myself and focus on others and serving the Lord, there simply can be no other ulterior motive.  Ever since this fact really hit me I've been much more driven and motivated to learn and serve. 


Scandinavian MTC Branch

The MTC district I'm in is so great!  Everyone is incredibly smart, driven, and motivated to succeed.  It is nothing short of humbling to work every day with 11 other individuals that in many ways are far more talented than I am.  It is clear to me from those that I am blessed to serve with that the Lord has great plans for Sweden.  Our group of 12 is exemplary and fully capable of changing the hearts and minds of those that we are called to serve.

 

The meals have been really hit and miss… Some days they taste really good and other days the food is downright terrible.  Regardless, it always seems to make you feel a little sick.  



 
The devotionals, on the other hand, are so good.  We saw L. Tom Perry last week!  It was my first time to see an apostle in person.  That guy is so tall!  He's easily 6'-4” and he basically skipped up to the pulpit.  His talk was great and he told us how he opened a new mission in Ohio and built an entire ward.  He was with the same companion almost the entire mission because it was hard to get new Elders during the war.  He and his companion enlisted in the war after their missions and got to spend their entire military service in Japan.  The talk on Sunday was the best though.  This little old lady gets up and I thought I was about to be put to sleep, then she went into a 20 minute stand-up comedy routine and just got the whole room laughing...great talk!

I finally got to see Taylor Anderson and it's a really cool story how I found him actually.  I was brushing my teeth and met an Elder going to Jacksonville, FL.  I asked him if he knew Elder Anderson and he said he had an Elder Anderson from California in his room.  I followed him to the room and said hey Elder Anderson... but it was a different Elder Anderson.  He told me there was another Elder Anderson two doors down and he also ended up being a different Elder Anderson, but he said there were some more Jacksonville missionaries on the first floor.  So, I went down to the first floor and asked everyone if they knew where I could find an Elder Anderson from Jacksonville.  After 15 minutes I found one person that said they vaguely remembered an Elder Anderson on the second floor.  On my first knock after 20 minutes of searching the other two floors I finally found Taylor.  It was quite the man hunt, but it made for a fun evening and I got to meet most the floor in the process.  We ended up talking for half an hour and now we usually run into each other at least once a day.  I still haven't seen London yet, she may be on the west campus.

I am so excited that I got into BYU-Provo.  It was quite a process but I'm so glad all the hard work paid off.  I know that’s where I'm supposed to go to school and I am so happy to finally be a student there.  All the Elders going to BYU were really proud of me. 

I'm so happy everything is going well at home.  Sorry I couldn't be there to run to store with you Mom, I know you like that.  Thanks for letting Josh go the gym more often, I'm sure that makes him happy.  Tell Dad I'm really proud of him for the new job.

Love you guys!
Aldste Stoeltzing

No comments:

Post a Comment